Summary of a Guided Tour through The Bundi Palace and Chitrashala, Rajasthan

Collage of Bundi Palace and Chitrashala

Entry inside The Palace and Chitrashala is by tickets only.

Summer days timings is from 8 am – 7 pm and Winter 8 am – 5 pm.

After purchasing tickets for self and Ashok ji I decided to hire guide services to know more about the history. Keshav Bhati – Tour Escort / Guide ( mobile: 0 – 9414394241 ) Taragarh Fort was present. Tour Guide service charges Rs. 200.

Below is the summary what I know about the historical palace and fort as narrated by Keshav Bhati and then during Chitrasala visit N. K. Verma smarak parichar (monument attendant) enhanced further knowledge about paintings.  Thanks to both of them.

  • Foundation of Bundi is from 1241. Before 1241, 300 tribal were living here. Chief of the tribal name was Bunda so the town was named after him as Bundi.
  • Founder of Bundi was Rao Deva of Chauhan family was from Ajmer and Delhi governed this region named as Hadoti after defeating Bunda. As Bundi was protected by three sides by Aravalli Hills he decided to settle his capital at Bundi.
  • Bundi was the capital governing Kota, Hadoti, Jhalawar, Sawai Madhopur, Tonk etc.
  • Ranjeet Singh was the last King of Bundi died on 8th January 2009.
  • Bundi was never conquered by any other Kings or rulers.
  • The entrance Gate of Palace is known as Hazari Darwaza because earlier days 1000 soldiers always guarding the entrance.
  • Till 1971 near the entrance at Naubat Khana music was played to welcome guests.
  • 4 am wake up call, 9 am start of the day, 12 noon the break and 4 evening hours Nagara, Shehnai was played for various activities.
  • The Palace was the location for the King and relatives to stay. Fort was to mount cannons but sometimes for a change it was visited by King.
  • Fifth ruler of Bundi Rao Var Singh (1336-1393) built Taragarh fort.
  • Most part of The Palace was closed for visitors only opened for the last 8 years. Currently Bhanwar Jitendra Singh (MP) of Alwar takes care of The Palace as well as Fort.
  • Not only at Hazari Darwaza – entrance gate musicians were present but at Elephant gate there is also a balcony for musicians and from side structure rose water and flowers were showered as a gesture of welcome.
  • The construction of Elephant Gate is 1620. Ealier Elephant Gate was known as Nauthano Ka Darwaja.
  • In front of Elephant gate is stable for the horse and elephant and above is Deewan-e-Aam. King used to address public at Deewan-e-Aam. Diwan-e-Aam (public audience) was built by Raja Ratan Doulat in the year 1607. Diwan-e-Aam other names are Darbar and Dari Khana.
  • Earlier days there was a clock installed inside a pan that used to fill with water every one hour and the moment it is filled the clock stuck and sound is generated. Elephant Gate was also known as Ghadi (clock) ka darwaza (gate). The clock is currently in the musuem for display.
  • Bundi population is approx. 95,000 mostly depend on agriculture such as basmati rice, oil seeds, soya, mustard, groundnut, sugarcane, lentils, wheat.
  • Diwan-e-Khaas – private audience such as family, relatives King used to address during special occassions.
  • At Banaras (Uttar Pradesh) there are ghats built by Bundi Kings.
  • Chatramahal – palace area with lots of Chatris decorated with mosaic and doors decorated with ivory work.
  • 1773-1821 paintings can be seen at Chitrasala – Shree Krishna Ras Leela, Govardhan Dharan, Cheerharan, Darbar, Seven head Airavata Hathi, Lady playing Yoyo. Mostly green and blue mineral colors used in the paintings. Paintings by Sato Sar –  The painter.
  • Chitrasala also known as Umed Mahal.
  • Maharaja Umed Singh at the age of 42 become saint. One can see his sleepers at Chitrasala.
  • Dhaka Malmal, Handmade paper part of Chitrasala.

Leave a Reply