About: Jogeshwari Caves

About - Jogeshwari Caves (Mumbai Suburban, Maharashtra, India)

Jogeshwari Caves excavated during 6th century A.D. is one of the finest specimen of Brahmanical rock-cut architecture and bears similarity with Elephanta (Cave no. 1) and Dhumarlena (Cave no. 29) at Ellora. On plan, it consists of agramandapa, mukhamandapa and garbhagriha. Vakataka and later Vakataka influence can clearly be noticed in its architectural planning and sculptural execution. Some scholars believe that the caves were excavated under the patronage of Maurya of Konkan, Kalachuri (Traikutakas). Jogeshwari cave is adorned with a few beautiful sculptural representations of Lakulisa, Kalyansundarmurti, Shiv Parvati playing dyuta, Natraja, Ravananugraha, Makartornas, Ayudhpurushas, Dwarapalas, etc.

It was declared as a protected monument of national importance by the Archaeological Survey of India, vide gazette notification no. 2704 – A, dated 26.05.1909.

(Source: Archaeological Survey of India, Mumbai Circle)

About: Kondivite or Mahakali Caves

About - Kondivite or Mahakali Caves (Mumbai Suburban, Maharashtra, India)

Kondivite or Mahakali caves, as they are known locally, were excavated between 2nd to 6th century A.D. It consists of four caves on the north-west face and a group of fifteen caves at the south-east, carved in volcanic trap breccias, prone to weathering. The entire surrounding was originally an old settlement, including Marol village, Mulgaon and had several fresh water tanks that have over the years disappeared. The most interesting caves at Kondivite is the chaitya cave (No. 9) which has a peculiar plan layout, and is one of the oldest in the group. The inner shrine and stupa are enclosed within a curved wall, not typical to most chaitya caves. This 8″ thick wall around the stupa has a central door with a latticed window on the either side and over the right window is a two line Pali inscription recording, “Gift of a vihar, with his brother by Pittimba a brahman of the Gotamas gotra and inhabitant of Pachi Kama”. A carved panel of the Buddha with attendants and other figures called the Buddhist Litany, is cut of the right, which is a later insert.

(Source: Archaeological Survery of India, Mumbai Circle)

About: Vile Parle Railway Station

About - Vile Parle Railway Station (Mumbai Suburban, Maharashtra, India)

Vile Parle Railway Station – A Brief History

1842-1843
The villages of Vial Parla and Ju were granted in inam to Navroji Jamshedji.

1906
The station was opened in the village of Veleh Padle. It is said that the name “Vile Parle” has been derived from two small but old temples: Virleshwar and Parleshwar

2013
Vile Parle becomes the first station on the Western Line to have an escalator.

2016
The region houses Mumbai Airport’s Domestic Terminal and is also a well-established hub for students due to the presence of many esteemed educational institutes. The famous Parle biscuit factory was located here too.

(Source: Display Board)

Nothing Found?