About: FLORA FOUNTAIN (initially called Frere Fountain)

About: FLORA FOUNTAIN (initially called Frere Fountain)

The city’s icon, Flora Fountain, is a Grade 1 heritage structure with a three tier fountain built in Portland stone. The fountain was commissioned by the Agro Horticultural Society of Western India for Victoria Gardens (presently Veer Mata Jijabai Bhonsale Udyan Zoo). However, it was shifted to adorn the newly restructured Fort Area. Constructed by the Esplanade Fee Fund for a total cost of Rs. 47,000, it was designed by Norman Shaw and sculpted by James Forsyth, both well reputed professionals in their respective fields in Britain. The fountain was dedicated to the city on November 18, 1869.

The fountain was initially called Frere Fountain but eventually became popular as the Flora Fountain after the Roman Goddess Flora, whose statue stands prominently on top of the Fountain. At its lower level it houses statues of 4 allegorical figures seated in niches, representing the industrial, cereal, plant and edible fruit products of India and, on the higher level, it has 4 celestial fishes.

The restoration of the monument and refurbishment of the surrounding area was carried out from 2017-2019 by the MCGM. The project received the UNESCO ASIA-PACIFIC AWARD for Cultural Heritage Conservation-2019 under the Hon. Mention Category.

(Source: Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai)

Click to learn more about Flora Fountain.

Leave a Comment

+ forty four = 45