History of Horse Drawn Tram Car in Calcutta-1880

History of Horse Drawn Tram Car in Calcutta-1880

The first effort to run the tramways from Sialdah to Armanium Road was done by Calcutta Municipal Corporation in the year 1873.

Calcutta Municipal Corporation signed an agreement with M/s. Dilvin Parish Alfred Parish, Robbinson Sotter in 1879. The company was to lay down different tracks for the tram car. Thereafter Calcutta Tramways Co. Ltd. a company registered at London took over the charge.

This company started with horse-driven tram cars on meter gauge tracks on November 16, 1880. The tram’s first route was from Sialdah to Dalhousie Corner via Armanium Street.

In March 1881 trams started running between Chitpur Road and Chaurangi Lane. In the November month of the same year tracks were laid down at Dharmtala, Shyam Bazar, and several other places. Soon it developed into a 19-mile-long network of tramways.

(Source: Display Board at Nehru Science Centre in Mumbai (Maharashtra).

Leave a Comment

19 − seventeen =