About: Ruins of St. Augustine Complex

RUINS OF ST. AUGUSTINE COMPLEX

In 1835 this complex was abandoned due to the expulsion of the religious orders from Goa and the Portuguese Government ordered its demolition. In 1846 the main vault of the church collapsed and the Convent rapidly decayed. The valuable articles belonging to the religious complex were either sold or lost, being nowadays dispersed over many churches in Goa. The bell from the tower was initially taken to Fort Aguada and later in 1871 was shifted to the Lady Immaculate Church in Panaji.

एसटी. ऑगस्टीन कॉम्प्लेक्स के खंडहर

1835 में गोवा से धार्मिक आदेशों के निष्कासन के कारण इस परिसर को छोड़ दिया गया था और पुर्तगाली सरकार ने इसे ध्वस्त करने का आदेश दिया था। 1846 में चर्च का मुख्य तहखाना ढह गया और कॉन्वेंट तेजी से नष्ट हो गया। धार्मिक परिसर से संबंधित मूल्यवान वस्तुएँ या तो बेच दी गईं या खो गईं, आजकल गोवा के कई चर्चों में बिखरी हुई हैं। टावर से घंटी को शुरू में फोर्ट अगुआड़ा ले जाया गया था और बाद में 1871 में पणजी के लेडी इमैक्युलेट चर्च में स्थानांतरित कर दिया गया था।

(Source: Display Board)

(English to Hindi Translation by Google Translate)

Leave a Comment

twenty one − = twelve