History of Shri Eklingji Lord Shiva Temple (Kailashpuri)

History of Shri Eklingji Lord Shiva Temple (Kailashpuri, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India)

This private temple of Lord Shiva, the presiding deity is of the rulers of Mewar, situated 22 km north of Udaipur, and is one of the most important pilgrimage centers of the country. Originally this temple was built by Bapa Rawal in the eighth century but invaders partially destroyed it. The reconstruction of the temple was started by Maharana Mokal. According to the inscription on the south gate of the temple, the present form of the temple was provided by Maharana Raimal (1473-1509). The four-faced Shivling sculpted from black marble, located in the inner sanctum, was installed by Maharana Raimal at the end of the 15th century. The current Shreeji Huzoor Arvind Singh Ji Mewar (continuing since 1984) plated a silver layer on the doors between the dock and the sanctum sanctorum. Keeping the antiquity of the temples of the campus intact, Shreeji has made many efforts for the renovation, development, and beauty of the temples. The entry of common visitors is prohibited in the court of the main temple.

Click to know/read more…