About: Christ Church, Shimla – Established in 1857

The first cornerstone of Christ Church was laid on 9 September 1844 and the church consecrated by Bishop Wilson of Calcutta on 10 January 1857. The lettering on the cornerstone was legible till the early twentieth century when it became indistinguishable from the masonry. The church was built of stone and brick in lime mortar by Col’ J.T. Boileau with neo-Gothic elements; this was the first ‘proper’ church in Shimla. Till then, church service were held in a thatched building on the Northbrook Terrace, on the Mall near the Telegraph Office.

This has a nave, chancel and tower. The stained glass windows over the altar and the clock were both placed in 1860. The floor has a centre aisle flanked by pews and two side aisles again flanked by pews. Heavy snows in 1961 caused extensive damage to the building and the pinnacles running along its length were dismantled. Even today the church has some interesting memorial tablets while the pews still mark the seats of the British Viceroy of India and the Commander-in-Chief.

(Source: Municipal Corporation, Shimla)

Leave a Comment

four + 3 =