About: Coffin of St. Francis Xavier (Basilica of Bom Jesus)

Coffin of St. Francis Xavier

This coffin was made during the 1744 exposition.

It is made of pinewood, since this wood is very light and easy to carry. It is covered on the outer side by the silver cloth and fine gold lace. The base of this coffin was decorated with red damask, and the interior was adorned with purple canvas with silver motifs. A narrow gold laced mattress of the same material is made as well as a small pillow of gold embroidered white damask.

The lid of the coffin is attached with three hinges, and two handles are fixed on the upper and lower ends. It has three brass locks with three keys, one key was kept with the archbishop, another with the Governor and the third with the administrator.

The top cover was detached from the hinges and the coffin was then used for all expositions till 1952-53. In 1953 the sacred relics were transferred to the present crystal coffin.

सेंट फ्रांसिस जेवियर का ताबूत

यह ताबूत 1744 की प्रदर्शनी के दौरान बनाया गया था।

यह पाइनवुड से बना है, क्योंकि यह लकड़ी बहुत हल्की और ले जाने में आसान है। यह बाहरी तरफ चांदी के कपड़े और बढ़िया सोने के फीते से ढका हुआ है। इस ताबूत के आधार को लाल डैमस्क से सजाया गया था, और आंतरिक भाग को चांदी के रूपांकनों के साथ बैंगनी कैनवास से सजाया गया था। उसी सामग्री का एक संकीर्ण सोने का फीता गद्दा और साथ ही सोने की कढ़ाई वाले सफेद जामदानी का एक छोटा तकिया बनाया जाता है।

ताबूत का ढक्कन तीन टिकाओं से जुड़ा हुआ है, और ऊपरी और निचले सिरों पर दो हैंडल लगे हुए हैं। इसमें तीन पीतल के ताले और तीन चाबियाँ हैं, एक चाबी आर्चबिशप के पास, दूसरी गवर्नर के पास और तीसरी प्रशासक के पास रखी जाती थी।

शीर्ष कवर को टिका से अलग कर दिया गया और ताबूत का उपयोग 1952-53 तक सभी प्रदर्शनियों के लिए किया गया। 1953 में पवित्र अवशेषों को वर्तमान क्रिस्टल ताबूत में स्थानांतरित कर दिया गया था।

(Source: Display Board)

(English to Hindi Translation by Google Translate)

Click to learn more about Basilica of Bom Jesus.